Boycott Return To Unsafe Schools
In these uncertain times, we believe that a wider reopening of schools is currently unsafe for children, adults, and communities.
Any wider reopening of schools should be SENSIBLE, SAFE, and SUSTAINABLE.
- The UK is still in the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, with many active cases.
- Pre-symptomatic people of all ages may act as spreaders of Covid-19.
- Schools are ideal breeding grounds for any infection.
- Vulnerable children, including those with susceptibility to infection, will be put at increased risk.
- Vulnerable adults, either working in schools as teachers or support staff, or relatives of either children or adults attending school, will be put at increased risk.
- The mental health of both children and adults is being compromised by the Government’s current approach to the wider reopening of schools.
- Covid-19 is here to stay for the foreseeable future, so we need a new STRATEGY for Education.
- A second wave in the autumn and winter is inevitable, and may be combined with an influenza epidemic.
- We need to plan for the “new normal” – blended learning, combining a mixture of online lessons and activities, school attendance for children who require contact time in order to progress, and a revamp of both the curriculum and examination system.